Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lovies and a New Hobby?

We've now reached the point in Liam's life that he has adopted a "lovey". I call it a lovey, but it's actually his security item. Lovey just sounds so much better than diaper rag...yup, he's chosen a diaper rag as his special snuggle buddy. I guess in a way it is perfect. I have a million of them. I can bleach them. They are relatively soft and snuggly. But I had grand visions of him dragging around a blanket a la Linus from Charlie Brown (and Jessica from the Rogers family), but no. Not a stuffed animal either. He even has small stuffed animals attached to the ends of ridiculously soft, small blankets. They are absolutely adorable...but no such luck. Every morning, when I go up to his room, there he is. One arm thrown over his head, the other clutching his lovey in a death grip, usually right up by his cheek. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Although almost everything he does is a "first", we are about to approach some fairly significant firsts. First Halloween - where he will be making an appearance as a giraffe. First Thanksgiving - which is almost in time for first solids. First Christmas - which is probably why I've been on Etsy non-stop. I have to find us our family stockings (I have my eye on some Fair Isle ones at PBK). I also want Liam to have a few awesome things. All he really "needs" is clothes, but I'll be getting him a few handmade special things from people that are far more talented than I. Speaking of...I had this bright idea this weekend that I was going to learn how to knit so I could knit baby blankets for all my friends that are having babies. I bought yarn, needles and book. I learned step 1 (casting on in official knitting terms) rather quickly and was very impressed with myself. However, step 2, aka the actually knitting part...ha. I watched 47 youtube videos, read three pamphlets and still can't do it. Oh, I know how...I totally understand the process, the mechanics of it. I just can't do it and end up with the product I'm supposed to end up with. My yarn is too loose. Let's just say the knitting needles ended up on the other side of the room...several times. So much for finding something calm and soothing to do at night once Liam is asleep.

3 comments: