Sunday, October 2, 2011

Surviving and Thriving

Yesterday marked two months for Liam - it's hard to believe how much he has changed in just this short amount of time. We both managed to make it through my first week (okay, three days) of work, but that boy is bound and determined to make a morning person out of me. He likes to get up bright and early in the morning, earlier than I consider acceptable. I can't complain too much - I do get to catch up on the TV I miss at night by watching the DVR at 5:30 in the morning when he's having a bottle - but I've been up at 6am both days this weekend. I can't tell you the last time I was up that early on both days of the weekend...it may not have ever happened. Even during pregnancy, I'm used to having Thomas yell at me (for the fourth or fifth time) to get out of bed at 10am (or later). The result of the early morning wake-up calls? I've turned into Thomas and go to bed while the sun is still up.

I've lost all my pregnancy weight and then some, so my new goal is to now get the belly back in shape...not that it was really in shape to begin with, but something a little more solid than the bowlful of jelly that I'm working with now. I've done plenty of Liam curls, dead-lifts, and squats, but those aren't going to make the stomach conform. I can, however, carry groceries into the house now by the double armful now. I guess that counts for something, especially since I braved HEB by myself today (sans Liam - he was at Oma's) while Thomas went to the Texans game. Liam or no Liam, HEB requires two people - at least for this family. One person to push the cart and one person to run all over the store as we realize things we forgot, even though they are on the list right in front of us.

Mommyhood has brought on several new hobbies/habits. First, I've become a coupon clipper. No, not one of those extreme coupon crazies, but either Thomas or I will take the time to go through the Sunday paper to see if any of the deals work for us. We've been managing to save about $20 each HEB run...I consider that fairly successful, and we can't believe we haven't done this all along. Second, I'm addicted to Etsy. I haven't bought anything yet, but with so many friends either with babies or having babies, plus Christmas coming on, my credit card is about to see some serious action. I don't have time to be Martha Stewart, but I do (typically) have the means to pay for other people to be! :) I've also been playing fantasy football with the boys, and have managed to be in 1st place for the past two weeks (this has caused some hostility...apparently girls aren't supposed to be good at fantasy football). Not to worry too much, boys. Now that I've returned to work, I can't really spend any significant amount of time doing research, and I see a few rough weeks in my future.

Our lives have been completed turned upside down the past two months, but I wouldn't trade our life now for anything, jiggly stomach included...that's why Spanx exists!!

1 comment: