Sunday, May 15, 2011

One Crazy Weekend Down...

This weekend was a bit much for the preggo. It was Aggie graduation on Saturday, and after grabbing my body pillow (no sane preggo would leave home without it), I quickly discovered that I was not feeling 100%. After a stop at Buc-ee's for Sprite, Pepto, and Beaver Nuggets (for Thomas and Dad, not me) it was off to College Station. We stopped for lunch at Koppe Bridge (can some Aggie please, please open one in our area?!?) where I managed to get down about 4 french fries and 3 bites of burger - but man was it good.

I've been through an Aggie graduation before, so I know the process, but being 7 months pregnant, I was completely unprepared for how much it was going to wear on me. Before you walk out to the floor of Reed Arena, you go to a holding room where they line you up in order. I (stupidly) had on heels (little ones, but still) and had nowhere to sit...for over an hour. I was about at my breaking point, especially since it was so hot and I still was feeling icky, when we finally got to walk out to the floor. Of course, there is still standing that happens for awhile at that point too, but at least there was a chair if I needed one. Plus, I was busy trying to find the Frank, Dad, Judy and Thomas, who voluntarily sat through yet another Aggie graduation.

It took from 2pm - 5:10pm to commission officers into the military, hood doctoral students, hand Becky her tube, and then get the 1000+ undergrads across the stage. Bless Judy for providing the preggo with M&Ms - which I dug into at about 4pm for some much needed sustenance. Once upon a time, students used to get their diplomas and many would walk out of the ceremony. That's not really an option any longer in Aggieland - now they take your diploma if you leave the ceremony and won't give it back until you show up in person to claim it. Of course, about 1.5 hours into the ceremony, and 20 Liam kicks to the bladder later, I had to hit the bathroom (I was also secretly hoping that taking the diploma was just an idle threat and nobody would follow through and I could escape - no such luck). I somehow managed to make it through the remaining graduation. I just absolutely was not prepared to be that worn out by graduation. Of course, it was a little emotionally draining, too. I got to sing The Spirit, and The War Hymn, and "Saw 'em Off" with my fellow Ags, which all brought back really good memories. Liam didn't really care for the swaying, or the loud music, but if I was going to have to stay for all of graduation, I was at least going to enjoy the good stuff. Damn you pregnancy hormones - it took all I had to keep (happy) tears from falling.

Once we finally arrived back home (11 hours after we left and me finally feeling better) I packed my bag and headed off to the Cejka residence for a night of girl fun and twins! Liam's "girlfriends" are getting so big and are absolutely beautiful. Jess, Lori and I made it through the night and we are actually fairly chipper at 2:30am when it is time for feedings. I headed home around 8am this morning and somehow managed to make it to HEB, Target, Sam's, Pappa's BBQ, and Babies-R-Us. Needless to say, the 2.5 hour nap that came this afternoon, was absolutely necessary, and I know it will be incredibly difficult to get out of bed in the morning, but I'll do it somehow, someway. In preggo world, I do good to get 4 or so useful hours each day where I'm truly alert, functioning, and "normal". Although I still have to function for more than 4 hours each day, and I somehow power through (some days more successfully than others). I'm guessing this is nature's way for preparing me for what's ahead? For now, I'm throwing in the towel and getting in bed. I'm definitely at my max for this weekend, and next weekend stands to be just as action-packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment