Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Like a Duck

Perhaps I've been inspired by the countless baby ducklings wandering around JSC, but I myself have begun to waddle. It's not super pronounced yet (and bless my coworker for calling it "cute"), but I feel it. I can see that my toes are pointed outwards instead of straight and I can feel my butt sticking out, desperately trying to compensate for the shift in my center of gravity. It's only going to get more interesting for me and more amusing for the rest of the world. At least now there is no mistaking I'm a preggo so at least no one is wondering why I'm moving at the speed of snail.

Speaking of the baby ducks, let's just say it is probably in their best interest that I am moving slow these days and probably can't bend over and catch one. They are about the cutest things ever, and it makes me think back to the days when Bucky the Magic Ducky graced our bathtub for a few months since he was a lone duck, born on "the farm" in Rogers in winter. That's right, we had a pet duck, and my whole family shared one bathroom so he could have a place in the tub. Did I mention we also taught him how to fly? (Just remember - my memoir title is "More Normal than I Have Any Right to Be")

According to the websites, I'm officially in my third trimester. It seems like only yesterday I was directing Thomas to make phone calls letting the world know while I desperately tried to keep Gatorade and crackers down. There was no hiding it - the mommies in my office would have been on my case in about 2 seconds. Being in the final phase reminds me of just how much I still have to get done. I know that baby showers will help take care of a lot of the stuff we need (and thanks in advance to all my friends...you are amazing!), but I still feel like we are far behind in the preparedness department. Other than a blue whale room upstairs and a pile of baby clothes on the washer that need to be cleaned before being put up, I'm not really sure it has fully hit the Kamas family that the house of two people, two dogs and two cats will very soon have a new member (and it won't have claws or fur).

It's a little surreal. I can't wait to meet Liam, but at the same time I can't even begin to imagine what our lives will become. It's always been just me and Thomas since August 2001, and by now, we've pretty much gotten things figured out. I know what drives him crazy, he knows what drives me crazy, he works the grill, I make the sides, I pick flowers out, he plants them...you get the drift. We've comfortably settled into our roles and it just works for us. I guess it's time we learn how to do something new together. At least I've already assigned Thomas the vomit-detail role...

No comments:

Post a Comment