Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Bump in the Road

So it's been a crazy past few days. Let me start with Friday. My coworker and I decided that Chipotle sounded like a great idea for lunch (and it was!). On our way back to NASA, we were talking about driving - a topic on our minds especially since she was just rear-ended on Wednesday and still wasn't feeling fabulous. As I crossed through and intersection, the car in front of me started stopping quickly, so I hit the brakes as well. Enter squealing tires and then a nice big thump/crash as a red truck hits us from behind. There really was no good place to pull over, so we threw on the hazards and I jumped out to exchange information. We got pictures of both cars (and the license plate), insurance information, phone number, but didn't call the cops (which in hindsight, probably would have been in a really good idea). I was feeling okay, so we headed back to the office so I could deal with insurance, call the doctor, and most importantly, eat my Chipotle tacos.

When I called the insurance he gave me to report the claim, it turns out that I was given invalid insurance information - the policy he showed me belonged to a deceased person. I'm guessing he had inherited the truck and hadn't put it on his insurance yet - I'm not optimistic, but maybe, just maybe, he gave me the correct telephone number and the insurance can get in touch with him and he actually has a valid policy. If not, that's why I have good insurance with uninsured motorist coverage. My company has been really easy and wonderful to work with. Woohoo for that!

What wasn't so fun was that when I called my doctor's office to see what they wanted me to do (it really wasn't that hard of a hit - the car is messed up a little, but nothing too bad), they said ER. Not what I was wanting to hear, but I knew it was important to be checked out, just in case. I went to the ER and went got back in about 10 minutes. After going through triage, sitting in another waiting room, getting a 1 minute checkout by a doctor, going to another waiting room, getting a fetal heart rate test and going through registration, I was sent upstairs to the perinatal assessment center. I was hooked up to a contraction monitor and a baby heart rate monitor, which came off quickly once they realized very quickly that Liam's heart was strong, and the noise gets old very, very quickly. It was about this time Deb arrived. I should mention that I called her on my way to the ER while she was in the middle of student presentations. I managed to get the important details of what was going on before she had to go, only to call back 2.5 seconds later when she asked if I was driving myself or going in an ambulance.

Deb sat with me while my blood was drawn (twice) and while we waited for Thomas to get there. They only let one person in the room at a time, so Deb headed home (smart girl - there is food on the outside) once Thomas showed up. We waited forever for them to take me down for an ultrasound. I got to the ER at 1:30-ish and it was about 5:15 when I got started heading toward the ultrasound. However, it was 7pm when I was done with the ultrasound. They let a student do the first ultrasound for about an hour, then the "real" person came in, looked at what she did, deleted most of it, and did another ultrasound for almost another hour. It was ridiculous. Keep in mind that at this point, the pregnant lady hadn't eaten in almost 6 hours. I was starving and not happy. When the ultrasound was finally done, the tech wheeled me upstairs into labor and delivery. Imagine my moment of panic...especially since no one had told me or Thomas anything except his heart rate looked great. She had just made a wrong turn, and I was taken back into my assessment unit home.

It was another 2.5 hours before I got dismissed. The nurse came in and said the doctor got into a (I quote) "pissing match" with the ultrasound people because they hadn't signed off on my ultrasound as normal. Apparently, the ultrasound people only make notes if there is something abnormal. Please note, no food for the pregnant lady for 8.5 hours - immediately after being dismissed, I made a beeline for Burger King for some chicken fries. I've never tasted anything so good in my life. Apparently, they couldn't feed me in case they had to take me to labor and delivery for real - and since the test results hadn't been signed off on...you get the picture. So not a happy person...especially since that meant Thomas woke me up at 4:45 am on Saturday so we could head to Rogers since our Friday trip was postponed.

The rest of the weekend was fairly uneventful, if you discount the fact that we packed up Frank's house on Saturday (well, I didn't pack, I "supervised" from a super comfy chair while the moving squad - Jake, Thomas, Dad and Andrew - packed up the U-Haul) and we drove it all to Houston on Sunday. I'm definitely at my limit for the past three days - I'm exhausted, grouchy, and ready for bed. I need to get some serious sleep before work tomorrow, plus all the other craziness that will come this week - car repairs, follow-up doctor visits, explaining to Frank why it doesn't make sense to put a couch in front of a table in front of a window...just a typical day in Becky-land. Told you, office mates, my life would make a spectacular reality TV show. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment