Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Milestones

Today was a significant day, and not just because I managed to stay standing for an hour and forty-five minutes straight in heels. Today was my oral exam for my Master's Degree, the final hurdle before graduation. The good news - me and Liam will be making our way across the stage on May 14. The bad news - me and Liam will probably also have to make our to the bathroom 6 times in the amount of time it takes for the graduation ceremony.

Of course, no day in the life of a pregnant lady would be complete without a moment of craziness, and thus we have our second milestone of the day. I reached a completely new level in preggo nuts status. Coming back from A&M, I decided to come home Hwy 6, thinking I could miss most of the traffic. FYI, Hwy 6 is Hwy 290 for part of the way (and I'm sure there was a sign that said that) and DOES NOT go through the city of Hempstead. So I drove on to Bellview and Sealy before turning on 10. A few extra miles, but not too bad. Thomas suggested I jump on the Beltway, which I did, and missed the exit for 45, so I got to come home on Hwy 3. I blame part of it on the sheer exhaustion - I really haven't slept in three days - but I blame the other part on the belly and the fact that I probably used every single bit of brain power I could muster to not screw up my oral exam. The actual driving part of the trip wasn't exactly a total disaster. I did see a truck hauling a 20 foot tall cow statue down the highway. That almost made the extra mileage worth it.

Beyond that, we are rapidly approaching some seriously busy weekends - baby showers, parents move, graduation, and so on and so on. Seeing how well I functioned today under stress and exhaustion plus a still sick tummy, I'm not sure I'll be cognizant the entire month of May. I may need a chauffeur because I clearly have no business operating heavy machinery. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment