Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Good Genes

Two ultrasounds and two blood tests sound pretty benign. However, when they start explaining all the things that can go wrong, and that these tests can't even tell you for sure...you just get the odds of something being wrong (unless of course something is really, really wrong), you just get a little jumpy. I've got one more blood test to go, but so far everything looks great. I've seen two legs, two arms, a nose, and even lips. GB is now 3 inches long + legs. That's a long way from ultrasound #1 where GB was seriously the size of a gummi bear. Blood work doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, which is a damn good thing because I've "donated" at least 3 pints. I'm not sure how willing I am to give any more.

As I write this post, Thomas is currently sitting on the couch not understanding the "drama" of pregnancy as we watch commercials for "One Born Every Minute" (which I would NEVER go on). According to him, he's already participated in the action of creating life and now can check out since his role is complete while I continue on in the host-parasite relationship I have with GB. I love my parasite, but GB is taking all my energy, all my food (although I did have the stomach flu today, so I probably took some food away from GB) and I'm sure other things as well. Thomas is taking away my sanity...It's a good thing we find each other funny and he went on a powdered donut run last night...

Even with all the poking, prodding, belly scanning and so forth, we still don't know the sex of the baby, just that everything is looking good in the genes department. Half of mine and half of Thomas' have mixed together and everything is working like it is supposed to. I'll take that for now - we'll know for sure on March 8 leaving me plenty of time to pick paint colors and register for boy stuff or girl stuff.

I will say the last ultrasound was totally awesome and I'm so glad Debs was there to see it. We saw the heart beat, the ribs, spine, the blood going to the baby (although it was red and blue cartoon-ish looking), and all the other important bits. The funny part is to get GB to move, which GB really wasn't having (I wonder who GB got stubbornness from?), they bounce the ultrasound wand on your belly to agitate the baby. It's kind of funny to see the arms and legs go up in protest. I don't blame GB - I'd be pissed to if someone kept making my house shake.

Time for a Sprite...settle the stomach before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment