Thursday, January 13, 2011

Joining the Club

I have officially been a card-carrying member of the preggo club for over 12 weeks now. Apparently, membership entitles you to a whole host of privileges including crying during the news (but really, I think that might not be just the pregnancy)and having allergic reactions to wedding bands. There are some perks - my fingernails have never been longer and if I took the time to fix my hair in the morning, it really is shiny and healthy. Although I'm in the club, I'm really just now starting to look pregnant instead of "squishy". I was a little squishy prior, but now the belly is starting to round out a little and look like a bump (and not a roll). This is a cool happening, but I've seen the bellies of my way more pregnant than me friends. I'm not sure I'm ready to lug all that nonsense around. It's seems like an awful big house for such a little guy or gal.

I've also apparently turned into a cover thief (note: this is second-hand information coming from Thomas and cannot be validated). I've been a pillow thief my entire life, but cover thief is a new profession. When the heater decided not to work last night, I apparently decided I needed the entire feather blanket, leaving Thomas shivering with just the sheet. He apparently has yet to come to the realization that for at least the near future, it is all about me, and then for the rest of his life it will be all about the Gummi Bear (GB). It will never, ever be about him again. He'll come to accept this eventually.

It's good to be surrounded by fellow club members. They make me laugh when they tell their stories and calm my fears when they tell me that certain tests or procedures aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I'm currently working with Debs to plan a rite of passage for a fellow preggo - the baby shower. Two times the babies means two times the stuff you need (sometimes 4 of 8 times). I'm so looking forward to this - you get to ooh and aah over all the cute little stuff (and also wonder what in the heck some of the equipment you get is for...). When it's time for me to have mine, I'm pretty sure we'll have to rent out a hall or perhaps a stadium. My mother and Thomas' mother will probably invite the entire eastern half of Bell County. I'm okay with that. It will be nice to see some of the folks from home again.

I'm not really a sentimental person, but the GB does have me a little misty eyed when I talk about childhood memories or look at old pictures. (Frank - seriously, get rid of the troll dolls and My Little Ponies...zero attachment there!) I'm extremely grateful that my parents are moving from the farm to the big old city to be near us and the GB. I grew up surrounded by family, and I can't imagine GB not having the same experience.

All right...enough sappy stuff. I do sarcasm much better.

3 comments:

  1. The trolls and My Little Ponies are still part of the family, although I am getting ready to reduce their size. I, as you, cannot imagine not being around for GB. (I think dad is excited too.) As for you being a pillow thief...well look at me...the queen of pillows...who can sleep with just 3 or 4? Now as for being a thief of feather blankets...well, you didn't get that from me...even though my hot flashes are almost over (I think), I don't think I've ever stole blankets, etc. (Now I might have had to take mine back....)
    Most people with hearts cry at the news...it's the world we live in...now we can see it all on TV. In the good ole days we were just naive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank....I can't believe it. Is it true? Are y'all really leaving? I thought it wasn't official yet. Awwww.....I have so many memories in that house. The coat hanger in the hall, the wooden shoe and Jessica, Jessica attacking Erin.....the list is endless! Becky....I absolutly love the blog! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe that you're not attached to the trolls! You and Jess had such a massive collection! I vote with Frank and say keep them :)

    ReplyDelete