Monday, January 17, 2011

Ode to 5:00 AM

My internal clock apparently has a new setting - 5:00am. This once unthinkable hour to be awake now approaches every morning, and I feel compelled to wake up and get out of bed. Okay...so the compelling feeling has more to do with the need to go to the bathroom and less to do with the actual hour, but still. In a previous lifetime, Saturday mornings didn't start until 10:00am at the earliest, and most of the time, didn't officially kick off until what can only be classified as Saturday afternoon. However, regardless of what time I drift off to sleep (or make a final nightly run to the bathroom), 5:00am rolls around and awake I become.

Now most of you are thinking this really isn't that big of a problem. You wake up, stumble into the bathroom, do your business, crawl back in bed, snuggle up, shut your eyes and catch a few winks before the damn alarm clock starts buzzing to signal the true time to get out of bed. Theoretically, this is what should happen. However, when you are pregnant, there are a few additional steps that must be added in there that prevent the immediate trip back to snoozeville from happening. First, if you are awake, it's practically mandatory that you eat something. Thanks to the animals, that means I can't just leave something on my nightstand (it would be gone!), I have to make a trip to the fridge. This means turning on lights, putting feet on the cold tile floor, etc., etc., etc. Once the snacking is complete, it is possible to return to bed, but finding that magic spot that is comfortable and allows you to sleep that you spent at least an hour finding when you initially went to bed...yup, you have to do it again. Let's just say I'm well aware of what's on TV between 5am and 6:45am when I get up to have breakfast (yup, time for food again).

Please don't think I'm complaining. It's fine, it's part of this process, I'd do it at 4am if that's what my body decided (and from what I'm told, it will at some point). It's just odd to feel like a stranger in my own body, and this jacked up internal clock is just one of the many things that no longer has a "Becky-ness" about it. I find it perplexing and absolutely fascinating at the same time. It's not exactly a hostile takeover, but I wouldn't call it friendly, either. What the GB is unaware of is that I have 18 years of revenge lined for these 9 months. Of course I'm kidding. I don't blame GB for my current state...I blame Thomas. :)

Off to snuggle the body pillow...

1 comment:

  1. Just wait. Eventually, your 5am snack will turn in to midnight, 2am, 4am, and 6am snack... Just wait. I would really suggest looking into a granola bar. It might save a few trips to the frig.

    ReplyDelete