Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Check-up Time

So tomorrow is the 32 week appointment. If it's anything like the last several appointments, it will go a little something like this:
1. Sign in at the desk 10-15 minutes ahead of the appointment time because I'm anal like that.
2. Sit and wait for 5-10 minutes until they call my name to come back up to the front and get my paper for the appointment.
3. Sit and wait at least 10-15 minutes past my appointment until I'm called by a nurse.
4. Weight (sigh), blood pressure, and a urine sample in the world's smallest cup imaginable.
5. Get put in room and have nurse do belly measurements and check for the heartbeat.
6. Wait for 30-45 minutes for the doctor to arrive - read poster on the wall about the forms of birth control 16 times, flip through the People Magazine from 2008, and try really hard not to keep looking at the "all about a pelvic exam" flip chart.
7. Doctor comes in room, asks how I'm feeling and if I have any questions, writes how long until my next appointment on my paper and leaves, approximately 4 minutes after she walks in.

Now in all fairness, I love my doctor. If I had more questions, she would answer them. When I came in with a ridiculous heart rate and high blood pressure I got in right away and got plenty of attention. When I'm there for regular checkups, its really just in and out (after all the waiting). I'm largely okay with the in and out. It means (a) things are going okay, (b) I don't have to have an internal exam or give blood, and (c) I still have a ways to go before Liam has to somehow find a way out (I'm ready for him to be out, just not for the actual coming out part).

So tomorrow at approximately 8:30am, I'll stroll in to the office and make my way to the row of chairs I know so well. This appointment may be a little different - if Liam has shown significant growth, we'll get an earlier ultrasound. If not, we have to wait until week 36 to find out how big the little man is. Stay tuned, I'll let you know how it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment