Sunday, June 26, 2011

Childbirth Class...Not a Fun Way to Spend a Saturday

Yesterday was childbirth class...from 9am to 4pm. I have a stack of papers, mental images that I won't be able to get rid of for some time, and very little information that I didn't already have. Since I've read about 6 pregnancy books at least 2-3 times each, I'm pretty set on information...although every book and every person makes sure to let you know that every labor is different and you can't go in with any firm expectations - you have to be flexible. Not helpful. That's not how I operate. When it comes to doctor/hospital type things, I need to know exactly what is going to happen and when. I can manage at lot better if I know what to expect. I don't do so well with surprises of this nature...I'm okay with happy surprises, though.

Childbirth birth class also included a "breathing/relaxation/visualization" component. Although I'm not complaining about the massage I got from Thomas, I'm just so not into the whole "and breathe in...feel the contraction reach it's peak...keep breathing...and your done...your in the first stage and contractions are only about 30 seconds long". I did manage not to laugh, but I can't promise there wasn't significant eye rolling on my part. I couldn't see Thomas' face, but I'm sure he was also not into it - especially because he had to keep rubbing my back and belly throughout the whole thing and his hands were getting tired. One positive take away from the experience - I dig the side belly rub - it feels good.

The other take-away? Ask a class full of first-time mommies-to-be how many of them will be attempting natural childbirth and watch as only one hand goes up. Epidurals for all!! More power to the mommies that did it (or plan to do it) naturally, and it's a personal choice, so no judgment...but for me bring on the good stuff. There are not special awards for doing it the hard way and after watching some of those videos, I'm asking the anesthesiologist to meet me at the elevator.

In other news, today is officially "Week 35". We have an ultrasound scheduled for July 6 to see how big Liam is and it also signals the start of my weekly appointments, meaning D-Day is just around the corner. As long as the doctor says we aren't having him until July 12 at the earliest, all will go well. Prior to that, Debs will be out of town and this isn't exactly an event she can support via telecon. Debs is our go-to person for communication and organization of family and friends during all the craziness. In true husband-of-the-year fashion, Thomas has stated that all of his attention and focus will be with me and not fielding phone calls, emails, texts, Facebook messages, etc. We'll see how many hours into the process he gets bored and changes his mind ;-)

I'm listening to my doctor and significantly dialing down my activity. This also comes at the strong recommendation of Jessica, who was told by the same doctor to limit her activity as much as possible and then ended up on full-blown bed rest soon thereafter. I'm trying to find a balance that leaves me rested and with my feet propped up, but not bored out of my mind. At least I still have work to keep me busy and my mind off of upcoming events. The doctor said "discretionary trips" meaning, if I'm feeling up to it, a trip to Target or a restaurant (or even Ellington Field to see the co-workers defy gravity!!) isn't a bad thing, but to use my common sense and judgment and not make these every day occurrences nor spend too long out and about. My body needs rest, my feet need to be up, my stress needs to stay down, stay out of the heat, stay in air conditioning, no activity that makes my heart rate go up,...her list goes on and on - "no anything fun" would have summed it up (I'm listening, doc, I promise).

And if anyone wants to have lunch, Casa de Kamas is open and there is a space on Thomas' side of the bed where you can join me for meals during the week. My office has moved to my nightstand, so I'll probably make his nightstand my drink and snack cart...he'll love that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment